Wednesday, September 26, 2012

How to make a Tarpon Leader, Simple and Strong


Tarpon are notorious for breaking leaders, fly rods and men. This short saltwater knot tying video is a recipe for the construction of a Tarpon Leader.  The knots in this Big Game Leader are very strong and your fly will stay connected to you and the fish.  This Tarpon Leader can be tied with flouro or mono and is adjustable to any length, I prefer a 12' leader, give or take.

~ The key to fishing with good knots is testing them, before you cast. ~


This Tarpon Leader can be tied to meet the standards and formula of the IGFA


Watch How To Rig A Tarpon Leader:






Step By Step: How to rig a Tarpon Leader


Step 1:
Fly Line to Leader (60lb butt section) - 6ft.-7ft.
This knot connects the fly line to the leader.  You should have a loop on the end of your fly line.  This loop can be factory welded or created as a Nail Knot Loop.  In this saltwater knot video I use a factory Welded Loop to a Clinch Knot.  This knot in a tarpon rig must be super reliable, clipped flush, slim and smooth so that it can be reeled into the rod repeatedly without catching or snagging on the guides. I prefer using a 6ft stretch of butt section so that as I reel down on the fish there are no other knots to catch my rod or sabotage the mission.


Watch how to Connect a Leader to a Fly Line



Step 2:
Butt Section to Class Tippet (60lb to 30lb) - 2ft.
Line to Line connections are critical with any sort of fishing, but tarpon will test even the best knots.  That is why I prefer a Blood Knot or the Double Blood Knot for my line to line connections. This knot can be made to join two vastly different sizes of line with a slim, strong profile.  I prefer using 30lb Class Line because it is strong enough to keep my customers in the game and still provides a way to protect the terminal tackle (Fly Line and Backing).

Watch how to connect 60lb line to 30lb line:




Step 3:
Class to Bite Tippet (30lb. to 50lb) - 3ft.
This Line to Line Connection is very similar to the last knot and should be tied and tested the same way.  I like to use 50 lb Bite Tippet to my flies, I find that the hook I use has more to do with the fish sawing through the bite tippet than using heavier line.  That said, when I fish for tarpon at night, I use the strongest tippet I have in the boat with every fly I tie on.  This knot recipe will work for all sizes of line in your tarpon leaders.  It makes sense to practice using 20lb Class tippet to 80lb Bite Tippet.  Often, it takes more wraps with the Class tippet than the Bite Tippet in this Doubled Blood Knot.



Step 4:
No Slip Mono Loop (50lb to the Fly)
Ultimately, with any tarpon rig, the hook is what keeps you and the fish connected.  For nearly all of my daytime tarpon rigs, I use a well dressed No Slip Mono Loop.  With practice, this knot can be tied very fast, very small and trust worthy.

Watch how to tie a No Slip Mono Loop:



Capt Matt is a Tarpon Fly Fishing Guide in the Florida Keys.  The Tarpon Migration occurs in the Spring months March, April, May and June.  If you would like to stand on the bow of a flats boat and take your shot at fighting a monster fish on a tiny hook, look me up at:   



No comments: