Tuesday, February 12, 2008

How to tie a Bimini Twist

In this short video, Captain Matthew Thomas quickly ties a Bimini Twist with thick yarn as a demonstration of technique...

When using monofiliment or fluorocarbon, I suggest 20+ hand twists and 5-6 single and/or double wrap hitches to finish this knot.

The trick to making this knot work is practice. Not only tying, but break-testing this knot over and over again will ensure a trustworthy knot tying process. You'll quickly realize that the way you tie the Bimini Twist has a lot to do with its integrity. Slow, steady, and good lube (spit usually) help keep the line from melting and losing strength.

I use the Bimini Twist daily with my customers. When my "Twists" aren't being tested to extreme between my fly line and backing, a Bimini Twist helps connect my light tackle braided line to a braided leader.

No comments: